[This picture of my new Border Collie puppy has nothing to do with the post but I couldn’t resist the opportunity to share . . . she is adorable. New moms and all that! :-)]
As astrologers we work with the “numbers” of human relationships and despite our often amazingly good results, what works on paper can fail to take into account the circumstances of each individual’s life experiences. It’s the assumptions that can come back to bite us in the backside and this is particularly true for those of us who meet in cyberspace.
I have met many people out here in the far-reaching realms of the internet and have come to enjoy my time here very, very much. With a natal Moon in sociable Libra in the eleventh house trine detached curious Uranus in Gemini plus a North Node in Gemini in the seventh house; I am happy circulating, exchanging thoughts and ideas and chatting with my cyberfriends. BUT, and it’s a big one, if you were to visit me in the real world, you would likely be surprised at what a solitary, quiet person I am (Pisces on the IC).
During the course of an average week, the only person I see on a daily basis is my dear Aries spouse and he is usually gone all day working. Most Sundays my dad comes for lunch and usually heads home after an hour to watch football or baseball, depending on the season. My sister and I talk on the phone about once a week and I meet my Libra woman friend for lunch in town every couple of weeks. A social butterfly I am not and never have been.
The point I wish to make is how easy it is to assume those we meet in cyberspace have lives similar to ours, come from backgrounds like ours and most of the time these assumptions would be WRONG. For instance, I live in a rural area and grew up on a small family farm. Part of my responsibilities from the time I was around nine-ten years old until I was almost seventeen, was milking cows by hand twice a day, year in and year out. There were very, very few breaks in that schedule. Our nearest neighbors were about a mile away and almost the only time I saw my friends was during the school year.
Today roughly 75% of the population lives in an urban environment, leaving 25% who live in rural areas. Translated this means most of you I met online do not share this reference point with me. You grew up with next door neighbors either in an apartment building or in suburbia. Music, movies, clubbing, eating out almost every day, hanging with friends at the nearest mall or coffee shop – all not part of my life, then or now, and that means most references to songs, musicians, etc go right over my head. I credit my North Node in Gemini in my seventh house plus the gift of intense interest and curiosity about what makes people tick from having Mars-Mercury conjunct in Scorpio in aiding me bridge this gulf.
I am doing my best to keep my assumptions about my cyberfriends in check because with Saturn in Libra urging us all to take care in our relationships now, this seems a good idea to me. There is a good possibility of severe consequences to acting on wrong assumptions about others right now. It’s called Pluto in Capricorn squaring Saturn. Offering advice or opinions based on wrong assumptions could bring the Pluto axe down, and we could end up with a stump instead of a relationship.
I recommend checking your assumptions before going online and chatting, or else be prepared for the consequences. That being said, I’m planning on sticking around, reading and commenting of various blogs and websites and generally behaving like the air sign Moon I am.
Anyone else running into “assumption” walls these days?